Wednesday, November 2, 2011

My Mother Never Says "No".

            My mother never says “no”. She’s just that kind of person. You know, always giving. She comes from a place of “yes”. I see this especially for my sister and I; she never denied us of anything when we were growing up. This might have come from my Dad leaving; she felt that she needed to give us the world in order to make up for the lack of a father figure. Every Friday before she met us at the bus stop, she’d stop at the bakery for huge black and white cookies. Every Saturday after dance class she would have a surprise waiting for us when we got home. Nine times out of ten it was another mysterious adventure of Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen.
            Now, as an adult my dream is to give back to my mother. I want to shower her with expensive gifts and fun Saturday surprises. A red Corvette, “Two seats are just enough; one for me and one for the dog” she’d say. A three bedroom house in Myrtle Beach, fully equipped with two hot tubs- one inside, one out- and a cleaning lady. Huge flat screens in every room so she’d never miss an episode of Law and Order. She’d have a faithful dog that would never die, a faithful husband that would never leave, and two daughters that would love the hell out of her.
I will think of my mother when I am a mother, and of all that she has given me; both tangible and intangible. I will think of all the heart-to heart’s, the “its ok’s”, and the “don’t worry’s”. I can only hope that the love and laughter I will pass down to my children can equal at least half of the love and laughter my mother has embedded in me.
So, for now I will continue on the path I am on, the path that my mother has steered me towards. I will give her back all of the love and support she has given me, and more, because if there’s one thing that has stuck with me in the past 23 years of “yes”, it’s that my mother, Denise, deserves to have it all.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. What a beautiful post. I hope that you choose to share this with your mother. It's a very touching tribute to her and all that she does for you.

    ReplyDelete