Sunday, September 18, 2011

Good Save...


My line of part-time work involves three children. I am a nanny, babysitter, “assistant”…whatever. That’s what pays my bills. Luckily, they’re great kids and I actually look forward to going to “work”. I am also lucky because I get to do a great deal of schoolwork when I’m with them, which is definitely an added bonus. The other day I was researching different topics that would be worthy of writing a fifteen-page capstone paper. I was clearly frustrated and mouthed off words that should probably never be said around children. No, I did not curse, or yell, or throw my papers in the air in a fit of rage. I said “ Gosh, I am so over school.” Coincidentally, the nine-year-old boy sitting next to me doing his homework agreed. It was then that I realized what I had said. For my fellow college-goers and me this is most likely a phrase used quite often. But, saying it in front of a nine year old? Smooth move, Diana. I needed a way to bounce back from that impulsive comment…and fast. I quickly closed my laptop and my notebooks and looked at him. “What?” he said. “School’s dumb. I hate school!” with a careless look on his face, he dives right back into his article about the pilgrims. I always try to stay calm around them; I always try to be rational. What could I say? Did I not hate school when I was nine years old? Did I not think it was dumb? So, of course I begin my spiel about how so many children in other countries and even this country aren’t fortunate enough to be getting an education. Gosh, this is going nowhere. I tell him that right now is a crucial time in a kid’s life. That if he strays away from education right now with a bad attitude and a closed mind, he could be potentially setting himself up for a letdown in the future. He’s laughing at this point. So, I ask him what he wants to be, even though I know full well that he intends on becoming a Marine Biologist (he’s completely obsessed with ocean creatures and dreams of one day owning his very own stingray). “A marine biologist, duh!” he says, now slamming his pencil down on his desk, finally looking at me. “Ok,” I say, “How would you feel if there was a marine biologist out there with no education?” Hopefully I’m getting at something now. He then asks me what I mean, half intrigued, half frustrated because I am deferring his homework progress. I give an example, “Like, if a marine biologist knows nothing about sea creature and one day decides that he is going to take a dolphin home with him as a pet…like a dog.” He angrily responds, “That’s insane! Dolphins can grow up to 12 feet long and weigh over 1,000 pounds! No one can have a dolphin as a set, Diana.” Ah, perfect. Now, I need to end this in a way that makes me look like I know what I’m talking about. “See? Not many people know that unless they’ve read books or have done research. Which, I might add, is why it’s so important to have an education.” Phew. He looks down, ponders for a second. “Got it.” He says, turns back around and gets back to his article on pilgrims. 

No comments:

Post a Comment